These are my user’s awards for campaign coverage in 2012.
Well, the 2012 campaign is officially over.
These awards reflect my personal opinion upon attempt to use the enormous stream of election journalism that came my way. As you will see, these selections also show my biases. So be it!
My top reporter for 2012 was McKay Coppins, Buzzfeed. An intelligent filter of campaign news and an originator of it. “Tell me something I don’t know” journalism.
My top interpreter: Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine. Consistently put order to the campaign data for me.
News Scoop of the Cycle: David Corn and Mother Jones (Monika Bauerlein, Clara Jeffery, Editors) Romney Tells Millionaire Donors What He REALLY Thinks of Obama Voters.
Best in my “analysis” category: Ron Fournier, National Journal, Why (and How) Romney is Playing the Race Card. Predictive in its way.
Thought scoop of the cycle: Ron Brownstein, National Journal, “This is the last time anyone will try to do this.” (For an explanation: click.)
The “aggregator with comment” (also called blogging) site I found more valuable in 2012: Andrew Sullivan’s Daily Dish. A person’s voice, plus aggregation machine, plus user-submitted stuff… very effective.
Editor of the year, 2012 election: Josh Tyrangiel, Businessweek.
Blog post of the cycle: Why I Refuse to Vote for Barack Obama, Conor Friedersdorf on atlantic.com.
Political journalist whose instincts and assessments seemed consistently the sharpest to me: Josh Marshall.
Signal to noise winner, daily coverage: Greg Sargent’s Plum Line, Washington Post.
Person whose prose I most looked forward to reading in campaign 2012: Mark Leibovich, New York Times magazine.
Pundit I most enjoyed listening to on television: Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal.
Best television interviewer, 2012 campaign: Soledad O’Brien of CNN.
Special award for going rogue on his colleagues in the press pack: Alex MacGillis of the New Republic.
(Photo credit: bankbryan. Creative commons license.)
- mbtshoes1000 likes this
- wheresvictoria likes this
- powpowhammer likes this
- colintedford likes this
- meandrichard likes this
- kevin-maness reblogged this from jayrosen
- kevin-maness likes this
- anil likes this
- dendroica likes this
- silentvesper likes this
- sphinxnomore likes this
- natalia-martinez likes this
- lezbfrenz likes this
- talldecafcappuccino likes this
- paradisejustoutofreach reblogged this from motherjones
- llacigart reblogged this from jayrosen
- llacigart likes this
- taylorlorenz likes this
- daemonica likes this
- profchach likes this
- rickeyre likes this
- robinathefirst likes this
- mmarieritter likes this
- mindless-meandering likes this
- prezzemolo likes this
- gadzooksbazooka likes this
- darlinginmyfashion reblogged this from motherjones
- sleepintheshade likes this
- epentheticsyncope likes this
- sariemcstrickland reblogged this from motherjones
- sariemcstrickland likes this
- adventuresofporter likes this
- mmm-maia likes this
- suptman likes this
- doitninetimes likes this
- elidot likes this
- misterpeace likes this
- janelovesny likes this
- marmaladeteardrops reblogged this from motherjones
- marmaladeteardrops likes this
- benlol likes this
- stressfractures likes this
- aliennut likes this
- practicalobscurity likes this
- nerdscloset likes this
- morabbiton likes this
- jsarevisited likes this
- rainydaze likes this
- iwillbepatient likes this
- digitalbirdy likes this